Wednesday, March 31, 2010

SF, What Up?!

There’s a thing about San Francisco that reminds me of the fog, the rain, the wet pavement on 23rd and Noriega, the hot & comforting won ton soup, dim sum in Chinatown, sweaty-dancing-nights at Lime or Dragon, great friendships, great dates, not so great dates, and the most haunting one, a heart break.

It wasn’t a secret that a big part of my moving up there, aside from getting my master degree, was because I was trying to get over a breakup.

Why this thought?

It’s official. I am registered for the San Francisco Marathon 2010 on July 25th.

The first marathon I ran was in San Diego with my ex. It was because I always went running with him when he was training…I wasn’t running for myself.

Now, 4 years, a heartbreak, a big move, a master degree, 20-something dates, another big move, another mini-heartbreak, a great job, a promotion on the great job, 10 (hopefully muscle) lbs later, I am running a marathon again.

This isn’t just another marathon to prove that I can do better. This is a run for part of my gloomy days in SF, this is a run for part of my sunny days in SF, this is a run for my moving-on-struggles in SF, this is a run for my new friendships in SF, this is a run for my master degree in SF.

But, most importantly, this is a run that will constantly remind me that I am not just running …but I am chasing something: a better Yonius. Every single mile of it.

This is a run for me.

So, what up, SF. Not only I'll be taking off my shirts at mile 18 or so because it's going to weigh me down...but I'll be cursing at your pavements, your hills, and all the spots that remind me of being sad and gloomy in SF...but when I cross the finish line, I'll be thanking you, for being my "moving on" city.

Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Will K. said...

Awesome! I can't wait! I'll run side by side with you. I'm only on mile 7ish. Hope to make it to 13 soon. :D

Joey said...

I think you should run the whole way shirtless Yonius. We wouldn't want you getting bloody nipples. If you don't know what I mean... do an image search for "bleeding nipples".

PM said...

i love this entry! so inspiring and genuine. I'll be there cheering you on!